Tuesday, December 13, 2005

top 10 sys adm truths

WARNING: This one isn't pertaining to wedding stuff.

So on Slashdot I read this interesting article about a sys admins top 10 truths. These are mine.

1) Tell me the truth. Did you really reboot? Or are you imagining that computer turned off by itself?

2) Try it yourself.
Usually, if you try the help pages and try searching for yourself and find the answer. You will be happier that you figured it out than asking me.


3) Google is your best friend. Trust me, most of the errors have already been encountered.

4) No you don't need it. No, you don't need a 80gig, 2 gig RAM, P4. Do you just type papers, check email, do some surfing? Save some money, you don't need the latest and greatest.

5) I can't see what you see. Okay, so you're describing me the problem. Please tell me exactly what you see on the screen. I don't have a magic program to see what's on your computer. At least, I don't have access to see what's on your screen.

6) Security, security, security. Yes, set up a WEP key, at the very least, on your wireless. Cause I can probably get into your computer. Especially when you have a blank password as your admin account.

7) Backup, backup, backup. Daily, Weekly, Monthly. You just never know. And don't you want to ever look back on your high school papers? :)

8) I'm not Keanu from the Matrix. Umm, no, I cannot make the Internet go "faster." Be happy that you have internet. (Although, I can troubleshoot why it's so slow.)

9) Time to REINSTALL. I know you don't like to do this. But your hours online you have gotten popups, adware, etc. No program can do enough cleaning to ever get rid of that stuff. Get ready to backup your files (see #7) and just start fresh.

10) I'm nice. Yep, I can answer any question you have to the best of my ability. Just don't lie to me about what you did. Don't look sad when I tell you the truth that you probably lost your files. Smile, and just ask, "Gordon, can you help me with something?" I don't respond well to, "I hate this computer, please fix it." Cause honestly, you did something to it. Computers don't fight back, they just take our abuse.

12 Comments:

At 12/13/2005 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gordo, this is a nerdy post. funny...but nerdy.

 
At 12/13/2005 5:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

having a bad day at work honey?

 
At 12/13/2005 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're hilarious. :) as my brother pointed out to me, there's a difference between nerdy and geeky. and you, my friend, are geeky. :)

 
At 12/13/2005 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

as a disclaimer, my brother admits that he's geeky too... and i admit that i'm nerdy. :)

 
At 12/13/2005 6:02 PM, Blogger the crafty baker said...

no, no bad day, just wanted to do my own list. :)

 
At 12/13/2005 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're weird.

 
At 12/13/2005 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha! ha! so true, so true... reminds me of my helpdesk days... "my monitor just suddenly turned off... try moving the mouse... oh! it's back on again!" And another time, "my monitor just suddenly turned off... is it unplugged?... uhmm, oh, ok, thanks."

 
At 12/14/2005 12:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sad to say...i am computer retarded and one of these ppl you're making phun of. humph.
but yesss you are geeky gordon! (secret admission: i laughed while reading this. does this make me a noncomputer geek?)

 
At 12/14/2005 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's funny. now can we move along to more wedding posts? :)

 
At 12/14/2005 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

when i saw this post, my first thought was.. hm... sys adm. how do you pronounce that? i tried aloud a few times. i can't get the "adm" sound to go together right.

haha. these comments are funny.

 
At 12/15/2005 10:36 AM, Blogger the crafty baker said...

adm is actually short for admin. so you pronounce it admin. but that's even shorter for administrator. :)

 
At 12/15/2005 8:18 PM, Blogger Foodinese Queen said...

Been on both sides. Especially resonate with #2 and #3. Unless Gordon or Yvonne are nearby, cause they already know the answer and I'm lazy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home