Monday, November 28, 2005

the short version . . .

Okay, some people have been asking for my side of the story, or what guys call the shorter version. So here it is. . .

For me it wasn't any single act or moment that made me think it was time to propose to Yvonne, but it was the patience for putting up with my,shall we say, dominating, headstrong, sometimes tyrannical standards of doing things? Each project I worked on she was there right beside me (well most of the time, where then she put me in my place and told me to be more sensitive.) So, I started putting together a plan of how I was going to propose.

Step 1 The Ring
Date: September 10th
Made appointment with Jewler through a 3rd party (behind Yvonne's back)

Date: September 11th
Picked out/designed ring. Had a friend and his wife come along to help make sure a girl would like it. Knew the ring size already, and steadily started to get freaked out.

To other guys. . .need some help? or a hook up? email me.

Step 2 Asking the Parents
Date: November 25th
Nerve wrecking to say the least. But this actually didn't happen till the day of the proposal! I wanted to do it a couple weeks earlier, but schedule conflicts with her parents came up, and add doing this behind Yvonne is even harder! But the excuse I used. "Honey, I have to go run errands with my mom during lunch. That okay?" "Sure," Yvonne said. . . "You sure?" I said in reply. "Yeah, it's okay. . ." Great! So immediately started the 45 min drive to Clear Lake, and back!

Step 3 The Plan
Disguising our 1 year anniversary as the Proposal. Got the 12 dozen roses (wholesale!) from a good friend. 6 dozen white roses (my favorite) 6 dozen red roses (to say I love you.) I had to hide these in the back of my car to prevent Yvonne from seeing it before picking her up from the Austin airport and then drive back to Houston for Thanksgiving.

How to say, "I love you." I'm not one to throw these words around carelessly. So a couple months before, I actually painted "I [heart] U" on a pottery piece disguised when we went pottery painting. It would help me get the words out, cause I could point it out to her, and all I had to do was read it. :) whew. . .

Her ring was hidden in a pair of mittens. Now, she was actually suppose to put on the mittens and feel the ring, but it fell out when she was putting it on. It's okay, she still saw it and couldn't believe it.

I first said, "Will you do me the honor of being my wife?" She said "yes, of course." Then I got down on my knees and said the classic line, "Will you marry me?" She said yes again, and I put the ring on her finger.

FAQS (I'll add more as people ask questions.)
1) Why a mitten? Yvonne's hand gets cold easily.
2) How come you didn't even tell your mom? I didn't tell anyone. I wanted Yvonne to be the first one to know.
3) Were you nervous? Not really. Kinda just sucked it in and did what I've been wanting to do.
4) Was she surprised? Yes.
5) Why did you ask twice? Well, I wanted to first ask her to be my wife. Not just to have a marriage. And the first time, I planned to do it on my knees, but honestly, I was too nervous to move.
6) Where's the multimedia presentation? We're working on it. :) It takes time!
7) What did you and Yvonne's parents talk about? Couple of topics came up: What I admire most about Yvonne. What the wedding was going to be like. How good of a bargain the Mexican buffet was. How people were going crazy in the malls shopping on Black Friday. How I need to be saving money now.


6 Comments:

At 11/28/2005 9:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hah...that version doesn't seem much shorter =)

 
At 11/28/2005 11:55 PM, Blogger Foodinese Queen said...

Loved reading the story! Now that you guys are engaged, can you start thinking about getting a friend for Jocie?

 
At 11/29/2005 12:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh? a friend for jocie? umm, please don't scare us just yet. :) plus, this will be up to yvonne.

 
At 11/29/2005 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

gee sam and carol.. you're scaring me too! yucky!

 
At 11/29/2005 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good job, big brother! haha

 
At 11/29/2005 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

err.. I don't know why my name didn't show up.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home